Sunday, July 02, 2006

the opposite of fire...

Just set up internet in my apartment, which unfortunately is only my temporary one (long story). I have a bunch of personal emails I need to send out, so I've also pushed back mass-emailing another update--plus, in the words of WB, it's so "loaded" anyway...

I have a great view of the Space Needle (currently at least), and it looks like it's going to be a sunny 4th of July, despite the fact that I was told it was guaranteed to rain on Tuesday before I got here. My current plans are to hang out on Bainbridge Island with my boss, hereby referred to as Randy, and his family.

It's so weird to refer to him as my boss because he doesn't quite fit the image. Everyone at the company is fairly young (compared to my co-workers in Willows anyhow!) I guess that's how it is at a start-up... I'm not sure what demographics I was expecting, but I have 10 co-workers and almost all of them are married. Randy and Zander (the other co-founder) both have amazingly cute 1-year old kids. When I told RKM about them, he asked, "Isn't that kind of risky? Kids and a start-up?" I haven't quite figured out the money situation yet, but everyone's still really passionate and gung-ho and focused more on solidifying their great product than with making money. I think they're at the stage where they are starting to try and be more realistic and look at the business model and their long-term goals, but I'm not sure where they stand with all that. A lot of our parts are currently machined by hand, which costs $50 an hour. Izaak pointed out to me the other day that at that rate, my braille pen would cost $15,000 to outsource. They're trying to convert to injection molding, but it'll cost a pretty penny to get the molds set up.

The title of this post is in reference to how I discovered I managed to freeze an avocado in my fridge. I think the better question at this point is what haven't I managed to freeze? On the plus side, I have yet to set anything on fire, although I suppose it might be a matter of time, though I am aided by the fact that I don't have a toaster...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home