Sunday, January 15, 2006

January 14

Today was our "late" day. We didn't have class until 9:00, which was nice, though not significantly different. We met as a group to discuss our TRPs, and the whole thing seems like a huge mess. I mean, to apply to Australia, we had to propose a project. And then, we discovered that we had to pick categories from some list. And then ultimately, you can switch and basically pick whatever the hell you want to do.

We got a group together though--me, KSF, SD, and RK. It seems like it should be really fun. We're studying sharks and rays on Heron Island and a whole slew of patterns about them--size and frequency distribution dependent on time. Where do they go at low tide? Does the pup distribution vary from the adult population? RK is doing eagle rays--which seems to be potentially problematic since they like to hang out in the harbor--where we are not allowed to swim before 4 pm. I think it's for safety reasons and also because the harbor is under the control of the resort, and we're kind of at the mercy of their rules. His backup plan is to study shovel-nosed skates. I'm studying epaulette sharks while SD is studying the stingrays. KSF is looking at the pup vs. adult populations, which I'm not sure if that means she'll have to collect a lot more data than the rest of us... I initially wanted her project, but the epaulette sharks are also pregnant, so there should also be some little babies around.

It seems like we have a good group and a good topic, so I'm really pleased. On the other hand, I felt kind of bad for Ove that not enough people were focusing on coral bleaching. It really seems like something that we all should be doing...

After lunch, KF, ZA and I went back AGAIN to the Queen Street Mall. I was kind of sad since other people went to the koala sanctuary at Lone Pines, but apparently RK and some other folks plan on going later and spending more time there when we're back in Brisbane.

I finally was able to return my rash guard, but unfortunately KF didn't find a camera (hers got stolen at the meat pie shop). It seems that they only sell Australian cameras here, and it seemed a little impractical to have to buy a converter for the US. I wandered around a bit looking for souvenirs to bring back home. It's really hard shopping for people! I also don't know who I'm buying gifts for--that kind of determines the budget I'm on. I did find a didgeridoo for ET. It was cheap at 40 dollars. I'm trying to figure out if it would actually work and whether tourists actually buy the things (and how to get it home if I decide to buy it). Ah well.



We went back to Emmanuel College by bus because ZA knew the stop (thank goodness). Then ZA and I went to the library to get the internet for about 45 minutes. It's interesting that in Australia, they kick you out the minute it turns 5 o'clock. The librarians are up and waiting for you to leave. It's a little surprising given the laid-back nature of the country, but their work hours seem really short.

I got back really hungry, so I went to the dining hall right away and met up with everyone who had gotten back from the koala sanctuary. While we were eating, GH and RK came in and wanted to play a game of ultimate frisbee. I had just eaten, but we went to the cricket field and played a pretty good game, all things considering. A bunch of the guys left to go eat, but after they finished we dragged them back out to play a night-time game. It was crazy ridiculous. No one could see anything, and all you could really make out were blurry shadows and random shouts from across the field. All in all it was a lot of fun though, and we had made plans to play the next morning at 6:00 am before the bus left for Stradbroke Island.

A bunch of people left to go to the movies, but after a shower the few of us left sat down to watch a couple of episodes of Family Guy in the common room. We broke at around 10:30 to go pack, and unfortunately that was the last of our night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home